Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I Got Id

I think this weeks post will be a mix and match of everything floating around in my brain.

First of all, I wanted to take the time to comment on the Derrida documentary. I was not a fan of the documentary; however, I appreciate the little nuances the documentary put forth. The documentary chose to depict Paris in its most dismal and deconstructed state. This parallels the very message of deconstruction. Instead of showing Paris in its most spectacular grandeur, Paris was, in essence, deconstructed.

The irony of the documentary is that it is deconstructed in nature. Derrida goes into great detail in regards to the self/other relationship and the escapable truth. Ironically, the documentary is trying to depict truths about Derrida. However, Derrida’s truth about himself will be much different that the film maker’s truth. In fact, at one point in the documentary, Derrida explains how he acts differently in front of the camera.

Also, the film was very interesting and voyeuristic. I often felt uncomfortable watching the documentary. There were these remarkable scenes where we watched Derrida watching himself watch himself. I found this visual choice shocking and very effective. I also enjoyed how Derrida was shown as a regular man. The film always focused on his brilliant mind; literally I was always looking at the image of his head. I found that quite remarkable and thought provoking because he was depicted as an average man with this brilliant mind.

Secondly, I would like to comment on psychoanalytic theory. I have always been fascinated by Freud and psychoanalysis. I am captivated by metaphoric and metonymic thought. While doing the exercise in class I realized that I am more of a metonymic thinker than a metaphoric thinker.

However, maybe I like studying Freud because I kind of understand his thoughts. Please don’t get me wrong here, I am in no way saying that I believe in the Oedipus complex or saying I have penis envy. However, I understand that the unconscious is one of the most powerful and revealing forces the human mind has.

I don’t think I will ever understand the depths of my brain; however, it is fun to try and figure out why I, or anyone else, is so screwed up. Also, this relates too many of the ideas we have already studied in language theory. Will we ever really understand language? I am sure we can recall a few important people who don’t think so!

I mean take any one of your weird nightly dreams and try and analyze it. I have this one recurring dream. I am a child and there is this scary clown-man that is chasing me through my empty house. After seeing him kill all of my family members, I try and jump down a very long flight of stairs. However, just as I reach the bottom stair his “go-go gadget arms” grab me and pull me back to the top stair. The dream ends when I am some how transported to my front glass door. It is locked and the scary clown-man is pacing back and forth clawing at the glass. Scary? I happen to think so.

This is one of the night terrors I had as a child. It is one of the only terrors I remember and I always manage to have the dream every year, and every year it gets more and more involved.

Could this perhaps be my unconscious telling me something? Is this figure a displacement of my father? Is this figure a condensation of my fear of death that I acquired at a young age?

I happen to think I have this dream because I am beyond afraid of losing the people I love. This happened because I was introduced to death at a very young age. Perhaps, these are a few of the reasons. I am sure Freud would have a few more ideas…..

Also, I am looking foward to reading Lacan for tomorrow. I am very interested in this mirror business!

3 comments:

My Princess Diary said...

You mention something I found really interesting in the documentary. Derrida says the film becomes an autobiography of the director rather than a project about himself. I guess this all ties in with whatever the director edits regarding Derrida. The director will pick and choose which aspects of Derrida to present. I think that example really shows what deconstruction is all about.

Richard Grayson said...

Wow. There is a lot to react to.
1. I feel like you are really just hung up on Paris (like you were on our relationship) I mean this documentary really could have happened anywhere. It could have taken place at Emmanuel. which is also in a phase of deconstruction.

2. You totally have penis envy. Not even in the funny way. It is all about the power, and you are powerful - and everyone is looking for that power. In our patriarchal society, thats just how it is. Perhaps if we lived in a matriarchal society then we would have Vulva vengeance or something to that effect.

3. Do you think that you think it is voyeuristic because you are a voyeur? I am not trying to say anything. but like how he said the film was the autobiography of the filmmaker- could this be projected onto you (the viewer) as well???

Over and Out
Dick.

barrowme said...

Well Dick,

1. I am just hung up on Paris. I love Paris. I would not have liked it if the documentary was at Emmanuel. Paris is pretty! Great cheese too!

2. Penis envy.... hmm. I think my feminist gals would think differently about some of Freud's ideas. I don’t necessarily envy male power because I personally don’t believe in it... I think I have just as much power. If I believe that a male has more power than me, it defeats the whole purpose of trying to reach level ground with men. By accepting nothing less than equality in my own life I think I am helping fight the good fight.

3. I don’t think of myself as a voyeur. I think I felt uncomfortable because I don’t think voyeurism is as readily acceptable. I just felt awkward watching him watch himself…. Its like watching yourself in a video… just weird.

4. Thanks for the great comments Dick. I am glad someone is challenging me!!!